Become a volunteer and give back to the rescued animals that call Lions Tigers & Bears home. There are many opportunities to volunteer - from working on an upcoming fundraiser to building a fence to caring for the animals - every task is important to our sanctuary's operations. Volunteering at our San Diego sanctuary requires effort and dedication that will give you a sense of purpose and a feeling of accomplishment. Your desire to help is greatly appreciated!
Lions Tigers & Bears Volunteer Program has the following requirements:
- Must complete a mandatory orientation (more info below)
- We ask you to commit to a minimum of 8 hours per month
- Minors 8 - 17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian for each volunteer shift
To be considered your first step will be to fill out our online Lions Tigers & Bears Volunteer Application.Once your application has been reviewed (please allow up to 2 weeks after submission) and accepted, our Volunteer Coordinator will get in touch to arrange an orientation. The orientation is pre-scheduled and will run approximately 4 hours. During the orientation you will join our guided sanctuary visit. Afterwards, our Volunteer Coordinator will go over volunteer opportunities and expectations. To cover the time and resources required for volunteer onboarding, all volunteers are required to pay a volunteer onboarding fee at the time of their orientation. The fee for all volunteers is $25 - this includes volunteer orientation and a volunteer t-shirt for you to wear during your volunteer shifts.
For questions on volunteering please email [email protected]
To Apply to Volunteer at Lions Tigers & BearsClick here to complete your online volunteer application
Giving back is good for you. Volunteering lowers rates of depression and may decrease your risk of disease as well as extend your life by several years, according to a review of more than 30 studies from the Corporation for National and Community Service. As little as two hours a week of helping out can improve your health and ultimately the well being of our animals.
Where We Need Your Help
- Diet Preparation
- Creating Enrichment
- Visit Guides/Animal Ambassadors
- Clean Animal Habitats
- General Cleaning
- Daily Educational Visit Support
- Carpentry, Plumbing & Electrical
- Fence Building
- Grounds Maintenance
Animal Care Internships in San Diego County
Lions Tigers & Bears is a NO BREED, NO KILL, NO CONTACT non-profit exotic animal rescue sanctuary and educational facility in San Diego County, California. We are dedicated to providing a safe haven to abused and abandoned exotic animals, while inspiring an educational forum to end the exotic animal trade. We offer several internships tailored to the educational and career pursuits of actively enrolled college or university students.
Lions Tigers & Bears offers several internships on topics that include: animal care, animal behavior, education, legislative policy, communications, videography, graphic design, architecture, and horticulture. An internship at Lions Tigers & Bears will provide you with real-world experience to further your future career goals and obtain course credits, as well as promote advocacy and awareness of the abuses of exotic animals.
Lions Tigers & Bears Internship Requirements
- Must be a current student pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Internship focus must be relevant to the student's educational and career path.
- A minimum three month commitment, in which interns will gain experience on the inner workings of an accredited non-profit exotic animal sanctuary.
- Interns are required to complete a project that corresponds with their educational and/or career goals.
- Projects will be relevant to the student's internship focus.
- All interns must be able to arrange school credit.
To Apply for an Internship at Lions Tigers & BearsClick here to fill out the application